What should be most important to anyone, who looks at the bigger – picture, instead of any short – term, popular, path of least resistance? Shouldn’t we demand, our public officials, consistently, persistently, committed to putting people (human life, rights, freedoms, health, etc), ahead of any political considerations, etc? Why do voters, seem to permit politicians to simply, articulate empty promises, and populist rhetoric, ahead of the greater good? If/ when, economic considerations become more important than humane issues, and the overall, public health, what might that indicate about us, as a society? With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 key issues/ considerations, in terms of the balance between policy/ people, versus, politics/ dollars.
1. How to reopen? Isn’t it somewhat dangerous, and concerning, so may public officials, as well as what polls, indicate, is a significant minority of Americans, who find it acceptable, to suffer, some degree of loss of human life, for the most vulnerable, in order to create a stronger economy? In addition, while this may be their perceptions, what makes us believe, what we previously considered, normal, will be, the new norm? I wonder, whose life these people, are ready to sacrifice, when some state, a 3% death rate, is acceptable. Isn’t 3% of the American population, about 10 million people? Which of their family members, and closest friends, would they find, acceptable, to sacrifice, for short – term, so – called, freedoms? When some equate the public health policies, of Social Distancing, and wearing a mask, as diminishing their rights and freedoms, we should all be concerned, and perhaps, worried about the implications! If stores can demand we wear a shirt, and shoes, to enter, why would sane public health, preventive measures, be considered, an intrusions?
2. Acceptable death rate: Isn’t it strange, so many of the loudest protestors of these pauses, for public health protections, claim to be fervent Right to Life proponents? Is there any end to the hypocrisy, and apparent, faulty reasoning?
3. Scientific/ science basis, driven by data: As Mike Bloomberg, famously, uses as his slogan, etc, In G-d we trust. All others bring data! Meaningful, smart public health policy, must be determined by science and the true scientific experts, and the process should be driven by data, in order to make adjustments, and tweak, as needed and necessary!
4. No room/ time for partisan politics: With so many, infected by this disease, and the number of deaths, during this pandemic, it is no time, and there is no room for partisan politics, as usual!
5. Just the facts!: As Joe Friday, often stated, in the show, Dragnet, we must tell our political leaders, Just the facts! We should be concerned, the present occupant of the White House, President Donald Trump, has an apparent tendency to deny inconvenient facts, and experts (if they disagree with him), and seems to believe, he’s always the smartest person in the room!
Wake up, America, before it’s too late, and demand, sound policy, based on facts, well – considered, expert – based, judgment, instead of empty rhetoric and populist promises! Don’t be misled by immediate gratification/ satisfaction, and demand better, smarter, and more humane policies, which consider potential dangers and ramifications!