Many of us have the uncomfortable feeling, our elected leaders and public officials, seem to be playing dangerous games, with the lives, safety, and public health, of our citizens! While, true leaders step forward, and take focused, priorities – based, well – considered decisions, in a timely manner, doesn’t it appear, many of those, presently in office, are more concerned with their personal/ political agenda, and self – interest, than the best interests of the nation, and the constituents, they are supposed to serve and represent? Now, more than ever, we need, and deserve leaders, who put the common/ greater good, ahead of their personal priorities! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 examples of current events, which, if they don’t already, should be concerning to us.
1. Politics/ Liberate/ Good people: We’ve always had certain politicians, who seemed more concerned with their personal best interests, but, never, in recent memory, have we witnessed, anyone holding the highest office in our land, whose rhetoric and vitriol. prioritized their political agenda, and being popular with their core supporters! When Donald Trump, ran for office, he lacked what most, consider the conventional experience, and expertise, so he ran, on being an outsider, and his campaign slogan, Make America Great Again. His populist rhetoric, empty promises, and appeal, to those, who seemed to resent authority, etc, were essential components, of his campaign. Since he was elected, this President continued this approach. During this pandemic, and on several occasions, he has articulated messages, seeming to encourage certain anti – social behaviors, prejudices, and biases. When he called the rebels at Charlottesville, good people, and then used, similar language, to describe, protestors, demanding opening up our economy, and used terms like liberate, etc, it seems he crossed a dangerous line, which opposed the public’s common good, for enhanced public health, during this horrific pandemic!
2. Ignoring warnings: Despite his denials, etc, it seems obvious, based on discovered documents, etc, President Trump received warnings, which should have alarmed and concerned him. Instead, he called the pandemic and its risks, as a hoax, and, perhaps, if we were better prepared, sooner, fewer lives may have been lost, and less people may have been inflicted, etc.
3. Equating public health, with economic concerns: As New York’s Governor Andrew Cuomo, has stated, the difference between the suffering, because of the economy, and public health, is, this illness, kills. Statistics seem to indicate, approximately 2 to 3% of those inflicted, die! How many must die, before the health, well – being, and a data – driven (instead of rhetoric or gut – influenced) approach, determines the necessary policy, etc?
4. Blame and complain: Is there anyone, this President won’t blame, in order to try, to avoid any personal responsibility? From blaming and complaining about his predecessor (his apparent approach since Day One), to his political opponents, the Chinese, the World Health Organization, etc, Trump seems to consistently, seek to be popular, politically, regardless of the ramifications, and implications!
5. Red and blue, instead of red, white and blue: There should be no place for partisan politics, during a health pandemic, and international emergency! Nevertheless, President Trump, often, sees things, in terms of red and blue states (Democratic versus Republican), instead of what, many believe, should be a responsible, responsive, much – needed, emphasis on the principles represented, by the red, white and blue!
Wake up, America, and recognize, not only is this behavior, unusual, it presents a clear and present danger, to the public’s best interests. Who has the right to determine, when there is any other option, how many deaths, is an acceptable number?