Making the best, wisest decisions, regarding, how to proceed, forward, in terms of this horrific pandemic, must require well – considered policy, from public officials, aiming to balance key factors and ramifications, and, hopefully, putting the health, and well – being of citizens, ahead of politics, and greed! Open – minded observers should be willing to accept, and realize, the American response, policy and actions, might have been better performed, than the steps, our present public leaders, pursued. While, the expression, about the advantages, and easiness, of 20/ 20 hindsight, is certainly true, it’s important to learn from every conversation and experience, so our future leaders, might proceed, with greater expertise, etc! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 5 relevant facts, and realities, regarding this.
1. Why Canada’s numbers seem so much better?: It’s usually, easier, to provide policy, when the population, is so much smaller. However, during this pandemic, not only the raw numbers, in terms of infections, and death, are better, in Canada, than in this country, but the public health policy, seems to be more focused, on the longer – term, health and well – being, also! Shouldn’t we consider, why, although the United States, has only about 3 – 4% of the world’s population, we have about 30% of the infections, and fatalities?
2. Sweden’s approach: Many use Sweden’s approach, to, supposedly, support their position, we may have over – reacted, in this country. Unlike, nearly, every other nation, in the world, they did not close their borders, or order closings of businesses, etc. While, initially, this seemed to be working, recent examinations of the numbers, seem to show, a higher death rate, there, than, in nearly, all other nations!
3. Employer/ employee responses: When, we reopen, how will employers, respond? Will they re – examine, their configurations, approaches, and how they do business, and, pay closer attention to public health considerations,sterilization methods, etc, and, Social Distancing, partitions, etc? Will employees be ready, willing, and able to return, feeling they are being protected, etc?
4. Individual responses: How will the public respond? Governor Cuomo, often, goes out – of – his – way, to applaud New Yorkers, crediting them, with flattening the curve, and being strong, enough, to care about each other, smartly! However, after all this period, although polls indicate, about two – thirds of the public, support smart measures, such as respecting Social Distancing, wearing masks, etc, an alarming, vocal, and often – threatening minority, seem to believe, this is about freedom, rather than smart policy!
5. Government enforcement: While we don’t want an authoritarian, fascist – like, government, etc, a degree of enforcement, by government, when individuals, or business establishments, pose a public health threat, may become necessary. How many public officials will proceed with the inner strength and fortitude to emphasize policy and the common good, rather than any personal/ political agenda, populism, and/ or self – interest?
Wake up, America, and demand better! If we don’t get this right, we risk many undesirable ramifications, into the future!