While, some of us, have a desire to fit – in, and be considered, normal, it may not be an essential necessity, for some of us! However, a certain degree of desirable expectations, is often comfortable, and, especially, when it comes to politics, the United States Constitution, and what is considered, the Rule of Law! When a public official, behaves, significantly different from what we expect and desire, especially, in terms of genuine integrity, preparation, the tone of his rhetoric, and abiding by certain Constitutional guarantees/ essentials, such as, Separation of Church and State, Balance of Powers, and, especially, equal rights and justice for all, it is, neither, normal, nor, comforting, to a large number of citizens! With that in mind, this article will attempt to, briefly, consider, examine, review, and discuss, 6 basic reasons, what we are witnessing today, in terms of the rhetoric, actions, behavior, etc, of President Donald Trump, isn’t normal!
1. Lack of empathy: President Trump, generally, exhibits, a clear, lack of genuine empathy, regardless of the difficulty and challenges, individuals undergo! Every event, to him, to be, all about him! Even, during this horrific pandemic, instead of showing, he cares deeply about human life, he seems to indicate, often, the opposite, by putting his personal/ political agenda, and/ or, self – interest, ahead of the greater good! How many times, have we witnessed, the present occupant of the White House, show any true empathy, even, slightly, showing he cares, about the loss of human lives, etc?
2. Little, to no integrity: Although, it does not seem unusual, to observe, politicians stretch – the – truth, or use, political – spin, never, in recent memory, have we observed, such an apparently, blatant, lack of any degree of integrity, as we do, today! Political fact – checkers state this President has told many thousands of lies, etc, since assuming office, yet, his core supporters, seem, not to care, because, he articulates a message, which aligns with their personal/ political agenda, and or bias.
3. Ill – informed: It might be funny, if it wasn’t so sad, to see Mr. Trump state so many inaccurate, ill – informed statements! Who can forget his supposedly, sarcastic statement, about ingesting disinfectants, as a treatment? How about the statements, proclaiming his predictions, which were add – odds, with the experts? When any public leader acts, in – denial, of science, and facts, we suffer! Facts, data, and science matter!
4. Surround himself with yes – men: It seems, if you want to work in this administration, your loyalty must be to Trump, even, if it’s, at – odds, with the greater good, and the facts! His Cabinet and advisers, are loyal, yes – men, with, in many instances, far lower/ less qualifications, than his predecessors!
5. All about politics: Every politician has some sort of political agenda, etc, but, when, during emergencies, such as this health crisis, anyone puts politics ahead of the policy/ people, America, and Americans suffer!
6. Poor preparation and planning: We have been informed, this President does not always, remain focused, or pay attention, to his briefings, even, to the extent, of having these presented, in bullet – points, instead of, in – depth! The reality is, quality preparation, and planning, are essential behaviors, which, are needed, to make a difference, for the better!
Wake up, America, because, what we are undergo, isn’t normal, and probably, not in our best interests! Instead of populist politics, empty promises and rhetoric, we need viable, relevant, sustainable solutions, for the greater good!